Completed Slark Set

Discussion in 'Dota 2 Workshop Completed Projects' started by Mv, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Mv

Mv Well-Known Member Administrator

I need everyone comment on this - its very important to get it just right. This set is made by KAas.

[​IMG]

My comments are:

it looks like a combination of:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Dark_Reef_Escape
    and
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Ocean_Conqueror

I like the organic feel of it. and the contrast. this is good. using live colors. this is a good direction. the coloring is nice. but it feels like its missing something like the WR. the colors are very nice. the shapes are just not very unique. One comment we have on Slark is that. Slark is a small hero and you need to put big noticeable pieces on him in order make it very noticeable. for example this set:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Shivshell_Crawler

is pure nonsense, it has nothing! no theme nothing at ALL. but valve chose because the colors are very clear and they define the shape of the set very clearly and its very different.

I like the idea behind the set that you have but I think with a few small modifications it can be as good as the rest of the sets produced. I like the colors. they are good. just need to play with the shapes a bit.

Krab and Reza like this.
  2. Krab

Krab Workshop Artist

very nice. I want make for this particles
    I think it need some seaweed

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Variant844

Variant844 Workshop Artist

Well change the fin colors so that it won't be exactly the same like the ones in the game
    And yea,add some seaweed maybe

4. Reza

Reza Workshop Artist

I also think it looks very much like the "Ocean Conqueror" set. same element, same color, different orientation.
    I think the whole concept needs to be rethought, from the scratch.

5. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

I think its really not look like Ocean Concueror. No Armor in this set. Yes colors are same, so what? Idea of sets is differend. As for me - I Like this set. Slark looks really like rogue, escaper.

6. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

idk, looks something existed "overall" that in market for me.

7. DrFoghorn

DrFoghorn Business Coordinator

In terms of it looking like the "Ocean Conqueror" set, I think the only similarity is in the fins and those could have different colors to counteract it. I really like the look of the weapon but it's hard to say if it belongs with the set. With the ear rings and general look of using sea scraps found, I think maybe a slarkified koa themed weapon might make sense. It's hard to say though since I really do like the look of the weapon, but perhaps it could appear more hand-crafted similar to how the netting appears to have been scavenged and assembled.

It could be possible to lose the fins entirely and make the netting look like some sort of camouflage that Slark uses to pounce on his prey. This fits with his Nightcrawler title while also keeping in line with the nautical theme. If this is too subtle then how about having a fishing hook stuck in the net that has some vibrant colors on it?

Attached Files:

8. Mv

One issue is that slark is very small. and when you see from dota perspective and in lod1 the shapes dont read well anymore, they all look the same and it is only color that defines them. again, similar to Windranger, KAas has a very very good idea hidden inside him. If you give him our comments and he think a little more we will get similar sets like PL, Windranger and Jugg. Yes this concept is good, but like all of them - it can be a lot better for sure.

9. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

I think the set is strong. None of the mentioned sets have a single vertical dorsal fin like this concept, the colors are somewhat similar but I think slark needs to stay in a certain color range, i think we can play with colors after the fact a bit as well.

I think the set could use some scale adjustments, all the different elements are just a bit too small currently, i think enlarging some things and repeating some elements could help it seem more like a set of armor slark has scrounged around on the bottom of the sea. Id be curious to see it in a game view as well. Maybe adding side fins on his tail instead of just a single stop fin would work better for a top down perspective. I think the top single dorsal will work because of slarks swaying/fish like animation, it should flop back and forth nicely. Heres a quick paintover, sorry didnt mean to butcher your drawing too much. also thought of maybe using that weird type of shell for a single shoulder armor piece on the other side or something, could be cool. more shells and found armor type stuff. I like the weapon alot, no real feedback on that.

[​IMG]

10. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

11. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

New color theme
    1.jpg

Variant844 likes this.
  12. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

2015-12-15 16-01-03 Скриншот экрана.png

Reza and Mv like this.
  13. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

cool, the shoulder shell armor looks good. Weapon looks great as well. Good call on splitting the back spine into two, not sure if that was the idea in the concept but it will work good for ingame view.

DrFoghorn likes this.
  14. Mv

yeah it was not initially in the concept. but added later when modeling. I think it looks better this way othewise in game we cant see fin.

15. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

I think sculpt is ready=)
    2015-12-19 18-29-46 Скриншот экрана.png

Mv likes this.
  16. Mv

ok seems really good. thats exactly what i had in mind for fins.

17. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

1.gif
    test skinning

18. Mv

the weapon feels very small. can you make the weapon a bit bigger in scale?

19. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

Weapon have 1:1 scale with standart dagged, but sure I can make it more bigger=)

20. Pernach

Pernach Workshop Artist

Textures and masks. What you say?=) I know for bugs with alpha=)
    2016-01-20 19-16-59 Скриншот экрана.png 2016-01-20 19-17-17 Скриншот экрана.png 2016-01-20 19-17-28 Скриншот экрана.png 2016-01-20 19-20-51 Скриншот экрана.png 2016-01-20 19-25-14 Скриншот экрана.png 2016-01-20 19-25-28 Скриншот экрана.png