Completed Omniknight Set

Discussion in 'Dota 2 Workshop Completed Projects' started by Variant844, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Variant844

Variant844 Workshop Artist

Omniknight set for the Charity Event

Hammer maximus.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  2. DrFoghorn

DrFoghorn Business Coordinator

Okay so let me start off by saying that I enjoy the idea of Omniknight having this floating symbol or rune floating behind his head as seen on the concept drawing on the far right. It reminds me of some of the early Omniknight concept art by Valve where he had these symbols hovering over his shoulders and his cape. Excuse the low quality image but it's the only one I could find.
    Omniknight_Concept_Art1.jpg

Omniknight is actually one of my favorite heroes and in my opinion, he looks best in platemail such as the Stalwart Soul set which I think is the gold standard as far as Omniknight sets go right now. It's not as heavy or clunky as some of the earlier sets appear, but it's still clear that he is a physically strong character and his appear is bulked up further even though it is lighter armor.
    Cosmetic_icon_Stalwart_Soul_Loading_Screen.png

Omniknight is a support hero but he is also a strength hero so I always imagine him as a healer tank. His armor should not be understated because he is physically strong and can wield his mighty hammer and doesn't rely solely on his healing spells like other caster types. The hero can actually be played as a semi-carry and I feel it's important to play up his ability to do so in some regards via the armor.

As far as other cosmetics go for Omniknight, there always seems to be a missed opportunity when it comes to the weapon. Most artists have stayed relatively safe when it comes to the weapon and just design variously shaped hammers or maces. That's why no. 3 on your weapon design intrigues me. A holy torch of some sort could make for a new and interesting weapon. Perhaps the weapon could even be a holy rune such as the Dranei Paladin weapon in World of Warcraft. Many people have played both Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft. Many are now playing Dota and it seems like many immediately think of the paladin class when it comes to Omniknight so I feel like using them as a point of reference may actually be a good thing in this case.
    DraeneiPaladin.jpg

In any case, this looks like a particularly promising set and it does seem to be breaking the mold in some regards when it comes to Omniknight cosmetics. I hope you find some of this feedback useful!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  3. Mv

Mv Well-Known Member Administrator

@DrFoghorn
    What do you like in particular in this set, and is there anything that is not to your liking in particular?

4. DrFoghorn

Overall, I like the design on the far left the most. I'll refer to that as concept 1. Concept 1 has a solid structure and it doesn't make Omniknight appear too bulky, but it also doesn't make him appear nude or unprotected. The idea of energy coming off of the ends of those horns seems interesting but they do remind me of bullhorns so I think that look could be fleshed out a bit more. Concept 3 feels a little too naked, but I do appreciate the design of the "rune" on the back of Omniknight's head in Concept 3. Maybe it could be made a little larger?

As far as the weapons go, design 3 and 4 stand out to me and don't the generic look that most of Omniknight's hammers suffer from. The idea of having a gem at the center may be interesting if done correctly.

5. Variant844

Thx for the feedback.
    Here is the update
    Omni1.jpg

6. Mv

You are doing a good job. Can you draw more weapon choices. Similar to how its outside the box. I like the current one, but lets have a safe style too. An angelic Mace, and a crystaline hammer would be a good point to start.

7. DrFoghorn

Perhaps a mace with the shard sticking out of the top of it? Or maybe a crystal at the center of the mace?

8. Variant844

9. DrFoghorn

Hammer 1 is my personal favorite. Excellent concepts!

I was looking over the set again and the only thing I think needs work at this point are the shoulders. They still seem slightly out of place in relation to the rest of the set. I feel like they should be a little larger or mesh more with the body armor. @Mv opinion?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  10. Variant844

I'm sure when it will be in 3d they will adjust their size to the perfect one. So don't worry

11. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Heyo Variant, MV suggested i get going on this concept as it felt pretty solid. Here's where im at with the blockout. Shifting onto the breastplate right now, cant really tell from the concept but its symmetrical right? Ill have some pics of it up soon as well. I love playing omni i hope this set gets in. After we get the blockout how we like it proportions wise ill bring it into zbrush and detail all the bits up

[​IMG]

Reza likes this.
  12. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Here's an update with the chest piece done, not exactley sure how im going to fit this into the slots, he doesnt really have an armor piece but his back slot has a lot of polys so well see how prior sets have done things maybe, going to check.

[​IMG]

Mv and Variant844 like this.
  13. Variant844

Hey.
    Yes they are symmetrical.
    And the chest was intended as part of the back slot

Also i think we should increase the size of his shoulders.
    And if possible make the cape a bit longer too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  14. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Ok thanks for clarifying, ya backslot makes the most sense, I'll scale up the shoulders an Cape and get it into zbrush

15. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

alrighty, bigger shoulders and longer cape trails. looking at the concept again im not sure about the helmet, its is supposed to be flat in the back on the top like i have it or curl up like in the detail head drawing on the concept? Also if you could sketch up what you were kinda thinking for the patterns on the armor plates for details, im going to play around with some myself but heres an image if you wanted to try some things out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Variant844

Helm is okay ,no need for changes.
    Okay, i'll make a sketch for the patterns on the armor

17. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Small update, got everything smooth that needs to be smoothed and it all imported into zbrush, going to do some cloth scultping and start on some designs for the metal bits. I picked some colos from the concept just to get a feel but we can play with some different color themes.
    [​IMG]

Variant844 and Mv like this.
  18. Variant844

Hey
    Sorry for the long update. Terribly busy right now
    So i checked the concept and noticed that the original pattern is just chaotic curls.
    So i tried to make a more arranged scheme for them WTVFi9N.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Mv likes this.
  19. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Ok, i think im basically done with the highpoly for omni, other than his little carry case and the clarity bottles at his hips.
    [​IMG]

Reza and Mv like this.
  20. Mv