Completed Legion Commander Set

Discussion in 'Dota 2 Workshop Completed Projects' started by Agito, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

Legion Commander set for the charity event.

LC.jpg

2. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

Heyo Agito, always liked your concepts. Mv pointed me towards this set as i might be making it with you. I like where it's headed already, the back piece is a really solid design. The weapon looks great as well, I'm still not sure whether or not Legions weapon should be asymmetrical or not, there are examples of both in the store already. I'm assuming that the red material is like a gemstone or red flint?

As for the helmet/head slot. I really like the helmet, whether it be the closed or open face. The ponytail is a great touch as well, I haven't seen that yet for legion. Something about the Gambit style circlet however is still refreshing to see, the asymmetry of her hair is interesting. There are so many helmets in the store already for her, it might be a good idea to explore the circlet idea. Although the concept for the helmet is far enough along I could definitely block it out in 3d to see how it looks on her if that would help you.

To me the weakest part so far is her shoulders. The arm bracers are good, they have good shape breakup and rhythm. For the shoulders, are they supposed to be big gems/rubies? Or some kind of metal that has been shaped in that way? For the shoulders maybe you could try making one like it is now with the other being a more subdued version. Right not they feel like they are extruding off her form maybe a little too much. They feel almost unwieldy, if that makes sense.

Keep up the great work!

Agito likes this.
  3. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

yes , shoulder pad is big gem-ish design, and there is 2 metal stripe at lower of the shoulder part, i will update the picture design when i get back to my PC. (most probably just add details)
    and the shoulder pads i really intended make it like Scales of the Dragon Guard ( [​IMG] ) that kind of big size pad. also my intention to make it match the big-ass back piece...

weapon might add 1 more style (actually add some parts to make it asymmetrical )

i'm not really sure about the skin tone of arcana LC will automatically change colour or not, if not we might need add another style just mainly change the gold colour into red-burning metal colour for arcana users.

or else it will looks weird like below, the gold part is not matching with red part.
    [​IMG]

4. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

LC.jpg updated some parts with engraving lines for details

5. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

and talk about direction of styles:
    i was thinking to make helmet into mask-less and masked style, then another one is hair. (total 3 style)
    but in same time i think need to alter gold colour for matching arcana , which means multiply by 2 for colour alone. (so total 6...)
    not really sure is that way too much for a style or not, but the default gold is really not matching arcana's bronze colour.

6. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

I like the blade on the asymmetrical sword now. The hilt seems a little heavy/large for how big the blade is. The shape itself is interesting i think it could just be scaled down like 15-25%. For the different head styles, that does seem like a lot of styles. If we pick either two of the helmet styles, or one helmet style and the hair/circlet style, and then have the arcana version of both for a total of 4 head styles. that seems more reasonable. Ill Get started on blocking out the back piece and the arms as they seem ready to go.

Agito likes this.
  7. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

yeah you can adjust the size to see how it works.

@TrevorJ , btw, do you do 2 styles or weapon too?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. Mv

Mv Well-Known Member Administrator

The asymetrical one is far more superior. So I think he rather go with that one. It feels a little too bulky. or maybe the handle is too small. something you can do about that?

9. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

handle i think no need do change for concept, 3d sculpt will do since it is very minor adjustment.

anyway update a little, also added a flash idea for weapon handle, hopefully i m not too late.
    LC.jpg

10. Mv

i have a question regarding the back piece. is it flat or does it have curves on the Y axis?

Flat might be boring or too small. can you try and see how it would feel and look if it had some curves?

11. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

good question: at first it is really like oracle's back piece that is a plane, but after some thought, i think better bend a little degree to make it on Y axis in case some animation, the hand bend backward and the back piece block/ clipped it, then it will be trouble .

(same alignment like default backpiece.)

12. Mv

I highly recommend thinking about this piece as its the main piece. the more i think about it the more its starting to look like this:

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Flight_of_the_Valkyrie

which is something we rather avoid. Lets take a look at what you did on Veng. maybe something similar can be done here?? or mix that with what you have now? I think it will work well.

13. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

that is not even close to similar with that.

and someone did this already (if you mean vs backpiece for xtinct)
    [​IMG]

plus the default backpiece of LC is a flag pole+ flag, as if the first batch of LC cosmetic all theme like that, then with your logic, that is consider all copying valve lol.

edited: there is another suggestion is replace the cloth part of the back piece with chain.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  14. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

i just did a quick changes to see how it looks like.
    LC.jpg

15. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

ooo, i really like the chains, only problem i could see would be the Tri count, chains really eat those up. just checked legions back slot and its 700 lod0 on 520 for lod1, chains might not work. i really do like them though, I could see the chains motif being carried into other parts of the set as well. Chains with ruby stone theme

16. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

i think chain can use planar to fake it like QOP wings

17. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

yah, itll either be that flat chain way like QOP or that one Pudge set, or the way the chains are done with shadow demon. Basically overlapping boxes. I think its def worth a try

18. Mv

can you please draw a side by side for the back piece?

19. Agito

Agito Workshop Artist

any news?

20. TrevorJ

TrevorJ Workshop Artist

ok sorry for the delay, some freelance work got in the way. Heres the blockout so far. Still not super happy with the helmet, want to try out the circlet with the side hair as well cause the ponytail helmet combo intersects with the back piece. Also need to blockout the neck piece and the two other non-symmetrical weapons. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reza, Agito and Mv like this.